A message from OBA President Murray McKinnon '59
Thursday, 7 December 2023
The School finished the year on a high note as was evident at the various functions and events that I attended during the last week of Term 4.

On Wednesday 29 November, a record 60 awards were presented at the annual Foundation Trust Staff Awards where a number of donors and Board members were in attendance to present awards to teaching and support staff.

I was fortunate enough to attend the annual end-of-year dinner for Tibbs House where Head Prefect Angus Baker gave an outstanding toast to the School and departing staff member Bruce John said farewell to the hostel after nine years of service.

The final Club 70 coffee group attracted good numbers and it was an honour in having Headmaster Tim O’Connor attend. Tim shared some reflections from his sabbatical in Term 3 where he attended a Leadership course at Harvard University as well as reunions in London and New York.

The Leavers’ Dinner held in the Grand Hall at Eden Park on the penultimate evening of the year was a glittering occasion with over 40 university scholarships presented. Ex-All Blacks manager Darren Shand ONZM gave an informative and inspiring address about his time with the squad and some of the life lessons he learned.

The annual Colours and Performing Arts and Prizegiving assemblies are always great occasions of recognising celebrating students successes. I presented the academic awards and in the process shook the hand of 479 young men. I would like to congratulate every young man who crossed the stage, particularly this year's Dux Jayden Kumar and Proxime Accessit Oliver Gunson, who both received enthusiastic applause when presented with their awards. In an earlier interview, Jayden told me, "Auckland Grammar School truly is a meritocracy. It teaches you perseverance and the need for unwavering resilience in the face of adversity”.

I would like to congratulate our Form 7 cohort, as they become our most recent Old Boys from the class of 2019. I hope you will continue to stay connected to Auckland Grammar School and will join us for reunions in the years to come.

Finally, I wish to express my heartfelt thanks to you, our Old Boys community, for your generous support of both Auckland Grammar School and the Association. Old Boys are a vital part of the fabric of the School and I encourage to get involved in any way you can, whether it be passing on the quarterly newsletter to a friend or former classmate or volunteering to assist the Association.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

Murray McKinnon '59
President, Auckland Grammar School Old Boys' Association