"I am so grateful for the Gateway programme" - Taylor Shields '17
Wednesday, 19 July 2023
The Gateway programme at Auckland Grammar School places students in a career option ‘tester’, so they are able to get a better understanding of the skills needed to pursue different careers. A large number of students who have gone through the programme have been offered positions with their work experience employer straight out of school.

One such student is Taylor Shields ’17, who took on several work placements within the building industry. He spoke very highly of the Gateway programme, under the guidance of Head of Vocational and Assisted Learning Graham Edwards, and the opportunities it presented to him. “I couldn’t be more grateful for what the Gateway programme offered to me and I definitely would recommend it to other students. The way the classes were structured to cater to all career pathways was perfect, and it is great if you are unsure of which career path is right for you.”

Upon leaving Auckland Grammar School, Taylor entered into a building apprenticeship with Woodsmith Building Co and is now in is in his second year, which he admits has had its ups and downs, but it has also taught him a lot about himself. “I have really enjoyed working alongside the team at Woodsmith Building. I have learnt a lot and have appreciated working on many of our sites out in the outdoors.”

Outside of his building apprenticeship Taylor has a deep love for fishing and the outdoors, purchasing his first boat when he was in Form 5 - a 12ft inflatable with a 30hp Mercury on the back. Several years and three boat renovations later, Taylor stumbled across a gap in the boating market and through his learnings from the Gateway programme he has developed a successful product. “Graham’s classes opened my eyes to the pathways outside the box, which led me to founding my own company, Salt-Shark.”

Salt-Shark came about after Taylor found the products available on the market to clean away sea salt from boats and protect coatings were not up to standard, he wasn’t happy with the quality of the results they produced, seeing first-hand how sea salt corroded the underside and components of boats if they aren’t properly washed and protected. However, Salt-Shark’s products are different. Eco-friendly, biodegradable and recyclable, the products can be used on various different materials, including aluminium, steel, copper and plastic and have been designed specifically to remove sea salt from boats, vehicles and coastal homes. Just 1L of Salt-Shark's Salt Remover Concentrate can provide up to 100 washes per litre which is five times more than most global competitors, for the same price, and can be used by simply connecting the foam sprayer to a standard garden hose.

Taylor has been astounded at the level of interest he has received. “Offering a product that is beginning to be recognised around the world and averaging five times better quality and value that the competition is something I can only have dreamed of.”

After a successful showing at the Hutchwilco Boat Show in May, Taylor is thrilled that the brand is taking off, with many global retailers showing interest. While you can currently only purchase the products online, Taylor is working on a business model that will expand into the wider retail market. “Within 12 months, we are looking to sell with key New Zealand retailers. Five years from now, you will see Salt-Shark being sold is stores around the world.”

Being an Auckland Grammar Old Boy has had its benefits when it comes to his company. “The value this title holds has shown itself to me countless times. Going to business meetings to then discover the gentlemen you are talking to is also a Grammar Old Boy has helped me to build immediate and valuable connections.”

Taylor is proud to be an Auckland Grammar Old Boy and he looks back on his five years at the School with fondness. One memory that stands out to Taylor and exemplifies the character and collective community of the School was performing the School haka on numerous occasions including - most significantly - at the funeral of Josh Hartner ’18, who passed away at the end of 2021 as Taylor finished his tenure at the School. “Performing the haka is something I will treasure forever. The feeling of being a part of something bigger than myself with such a proud and rich history by far stands out for me.”

When asked if he had any advice for current students looking to start their own business, Taylor was unequivocal in his response: get out there and do it. “Take opportunities and learn along the way. The knowledge and skill I have for running a business has come from getting out there and experiencing it. Entrepreneurs are not made by an exam test result, they are made through risking everything to take these opportunities, without any guarantee of success.”

If you would like to try Taylor’s Salt-Shark products, check out the Salt-Shark website.