The foundation of Goodlids - Dane Watson '08
Thursday, 4 May 2023
The Old Boys' Association ensures a strong connection with Auckland Grammar School once students become Old Boys on their next stage of their life's journey. It is a sentiment that Dane Watson '08 doesn't take for granted. "What I have really come to appreciate during my first ten years as an Old Boy, is just how amazing the Old Boys network really is. I have had plenty of help and mentorship from other Auckland Grammar Old Boys."

This help and mentoring was vital for Dane and his brother Clay '13, who are now in business together. The pair co-founded and run Goodlids, a label that prides itself on the design of headwear that is sustainable. With their flagship store based at the foot of Maungawhau/Mt Eden just three minutes from the School - "I've bumped into a few of my old teachers in-store which has been really nice!" - the idea for the brand was quite simple, with sustainability at the forefront of the design and branding process.

"Clay and I were watching the sunset one evening, talking about the beauty of the planet and how we could play our part to preserve it. By combining our two loves - great looking headwear and Mother Earth - that's how Goodlids was born."

Consideration of the planet was a must for Dane, so Goodlids uses hemp to make their headwear. Because hemp doesn't require pesticides to grow and uses about a quarter of the amount of water that cotton requires to grow, there is a real mark of distinction for the company. "I think the concept of sustainability being a unique selling point will begin to diminish as we see a complete shift towards considered goods across many industries."

However, it isn't just the products that are environmentally friendly. Goodlids prides itself on packaging all items in either compostable mailers or recyclable boxes, complete with compostable labels, and they offset the carbon emissions from each order shipped via Shopify Planet, a programme with multiple carbon sequestering initiatives.

Goodlids have only been in production for the past four years, opening just before the COVID-19 pandemic took hold. However, despite months of lockdowns and isolations, Dane and Clay actually turned a negative situation on its head. "We benefitted from the pandemic as we saw a large shift in consumer culture to shopping online. Today, our online sales make up over 85% of our revenue and this allows us to grow more quickly and efficiently than through traditional sales channels."

The Watson brothers are extremely passionate about their brand, and Dane has always had a competitive spirit, something that was formed from his time at Grammar, which pushes him to do more with Goodlids. It is this mantra that motivates Dane every day. "I really do jump out of bed every morning to get to work. I love what I do and the people around me."

So, what does the future hold for Goodlids? Dane's ultimate goal is to be the best headwear brand in the world, and they are focusing not just on revenue streams but how they market themselves. "Our interpretation of that goal is less about what we do as a business, and more about how we do it."

For those looking to branch out into entrepreneurship or starting their own business, Dane sums it quite nicely. "Be bold! And don't be afraid to ask for help or advice. Make good use of the Old Boys network when you leave Grammar because there are plenty of good men willing to lend a hand or a word of advice to a fellow Old Boy."

If you are keen to know more about Goodlids and their story or are in the market for a new cap, check out their website. You can order online and orders can be shipped internationally, or you can also visit their physical store at 1/90 Mount Eden Road, Auckland.