A change in career proving to be fruitful - Fraser Allen '95
Monday, 27 August 2018
Attending a school with over 2,000 students may seem like a daunting prospect to some. But for Fraser Allen '95, it is something he remembers with great enthusiasm. "It is important to remember the time we had at school and how it helped set us up."

A 'quiet, studious and pleasant student' throughout his five years at Auckland Grammar, Fraser made the move from New Zealand to Vancouver, Canada almost a decade ago and has recently become a permanent citizen.

"I originally moved here for a change of scenery - I love the snow, and skiing at Whistler Blackcomb was a major draw card. I only had a one-year visa, so if I couldn't find employment, working at Whistler wasn't a bad back-up plan!"

With a Bachelor of Arts degree and a postgraduate degree in marketing, Fraser starting working in an advertising agency. However, after eight years in marketing - plus 10 years of planning - Fraser made the career change to teaching, and completed his Bachelor of Education in 2015.

In his own words, he needed to wait until he was a permanent resident, "as it was much cheaper than studying as an international student and the employment options were much better!"

Fraser's current role is in a Grade 3 class at the West Point Grey Academy in Vancouver, where he teaches the core subjects of Maths, Science, Social Studies and Arts. The change of career has suited Fraser to a tee.

"After eight years in the marketing industry, I found a career I am extremely happy in, that I love. Working with the younger kids is so rewarding and it's great to see their learning take place." His students are amazed at the sheer size of the Grammar campus - "I show my students photos of the Great Hall with over 2,000 boys in it, they were very impressed!"

Although living in Canada makes it tricky to keep in touch with friends and the Old Boys' Association, the beauty of social media means Fraser is able to keep up-to-date with activities online. He is pleased to see Grammar's reputation is still strong.

"My parents still attend rugby games and always make it to the annual ANZAC Day service. I also have a strong group of friends who I "talk" with every day. Although we are spread out around the world (New Zealand, Canada, Australia, the States and the UK), each time there is a wedding, it turns into a big family reunion."

While Canada isn't a big culture shock in terms of differences from New Zealand, moving away from everything that was familiar was something Fraser would do again in a heartbeat.

"Canada is a great place to live in and explore. The hiking, skiing, road trips, the lakes, and access to the American Pacific North West, these are all things that need to be explored first hand. So take the plunge and do it! I thoroughly recommend it."

The Canadian sunset