30 years of service in Hong Kong - Gordon Andreassend '48
Monday, 27 November 2017
Looking back on his time at Auckland Grammar, Gordon Andreassend '48 has nothing but fond memories. "There is no doubt the years I spent at Grammar were the happiest of my youth. I could look back on four years of a painless learning experience, made possible by an excellent staff of dedicated teachers."

Having passed the University Entrance Exam in 1951, Gordon had the right qualifications to graduate from Grammar a year early. However, he returned to the School for his final year in the Upper Sixth Form, and, although undecided on a career path, Gordon spent the year studying subjects that interested him, rather than concentrating on courses that would help him with university.

"It was a most relaxing year, as there were no examination demands. It was up to the students to organise their studies, and though the teachers were there to assist and instruct, your progress depended very much on your own efforts."

Gordon's education at Grammar played "a most important role" in his career path of land surveying, starting a cadetship at a master surveyor's office on his first day as an Old Boy. "On my last day as a schoolboy, I bade farewell to teachers and classmates, and started work the next day as a survey cadet. Land surveying has been very much my life ever since."

By 1962, Gordon had worked in Auckland for 10 years, gaining experience in both land and engineering surveying, while studying in his own time to complete the examinations required by the New Zealand Institute of Surveyors. "Success in these exams gave me a Certificate of Competency from the NZ Survey Board, and I had the right to practice as a qualified surveyor, as well as seek professional work outside New Zealand."

Gordon embarked on an extensive OE - one that he says is still ongoing - and worked in Australia and England. Visits to Europe and France enabled him to put his schoolboy French to good use. After 3 years in England Gordon departed for Hong Kong to work as a Land Surveyor in the Public Works Department of the Hong Kong Government.

"Hong Kong appealed to me right from day one, and I was soon running the surveying operations in an engineering office. There was a large staff of Chinese technicians and labourers to deal with, but I found them to be most welcoming and helpful, especially to someone who knew very little of the history of Hong Kong, and spoke no Cantonese."

Gordon's working experience in Hong Kong extended for almost 30 years, and covered many types of survey, and promotion up the Land Surveying ranks. In the 1980s he was appointed as Head of the Survey and Mapping Office, a position he held until his retirement from Her Majesties Overseas Civil Service in 1995. He retired in Hong Kong, and is permanently resident there. He is keen to form a group of Old Boys based in and around Hong Kong, and if you are interested in staying in touch, you can contact Gordon via email gawrote@gmail.com.

Gordon makes frequent trips back to New Zealand to meet with family, friends and former schoolmates, and had a long-standing friendship with Grammar stalwart, Dr George Marshall '38, Gordon's former teacher, and the founder of the Tramping Club.

Grammar Tramping Club
The Grammar Tramping Club members on the summit of Rangitoto, with Dr George Marshall '38 (Leader) on the left, Bill Price '48 kneeling on the right and Gordon squatting in the centre.

"The club organised dozens of tramps around Auckland, particularly through the Waitakere Ranges. There were three of us who were regulars on George's tramps - myself, Peter Aimer '48 and Garth Barfoot '49. George Marshall called us the Three Musketeers, and we would often enjoy a meal with George during my visits home. We three met again in 2016 and went for a short tramp, however we are now the Three Octogenarians!"

The Three Musketeers in 1950
This photo was taken at the Pararaha Stream in the Waitakares - from left to right, Garth Barfoot '49, Peter Aimer '48 and Gordon.

The Three Octogenarians
Taken in 2016, the Three Octogenarians - Garth, Peter and Gordon, celebrating Garth's 80th birthday.