A dream to play in the New Zealand jersey - Alando Soakai '97
Tuesday, 5 September 2017
Being a professional rugby player and representing New Zealand in the black jersey was a dream Alando Soakai '97 had from a young age. He knew the high expectations that Auckland Grammar had for its students and, using this as encouragement, he pushed himself hard to succeed.

"I wasn't the most academically driven student, but being at Grammar definitely instilled in me a sense of work ethic and drive to succeed, both in tertiary studies and with my goal of becoming a professional rugby player."

A lot of Alando's memories of Grammar are from the rugby field, from winning the National Under 15 tournament in 1998, to being a part of the winning team of the 1st XV Auckland Championships in 1999. But it was a rugby trip to the United Kingdom in 2000 in Form 6 that is a stand-out moment. "That particular rugby tour was a significant highlight for me, as I got to play with my older brother Jeremiah '95, who I had always admired growing up."

During his time at Grammar, Alando played alongside other rugby players such as Ben Atiga '97, Benson Stanley '97 and Isa Nacewa '96, all of whom helped fuel the drive to succeed even more. This dream came to fruition when he made his debut for the Otago Highlanders in 2005 and was a regular on the squad from 2006 onwards. He also managed to complete his Physical Education degree from the University of Otago, something he says is harder to do these days.

Alando became one of the most reliable players and was selected for the Super 14 season as the Highlanders' starting openside flanker. He was also named captain for the 2009 Air New Zealand Cup, the provincial rugby union competition.

"I was fortunate to play for the Highlanders for five seasons. The level of competition and professionalism within the team was a huge step up from provincial rugby, but it was a challenge I enjoyed." Alando is also an accomplished New Zealand Sevens player and was a part of the winning team at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.

Following the 2011 Super Rugby season, where the Highlanders finished eighth overall, Alando moved to Japan where he signed with the Kubota Spears and played with the team until his retirement in 2016 where he joined the coaching staff.

As the Forwards coach, Alando is responsible for line-out attack and defence, attacking breakdown and restart formation, as well as analysis and player management. "We are responsible to make sure players are at their best for game day and strive to be a better Kubota-Man - hardworking, honest, consistent, accountable, respectful and caring."

Representing New Zealand in the black jersey is something that Alando is incredibly proud of. "I am stoked that I got to do what I love for 12 years and I am thankful that the sport has given me a future career path in coaching." He is also proud to be called a Grammar Old Boy. "Being an Old Boy gives me a great sense of pride and belonging. I continue to reconnect with old friends. It seems whenever I bump into other Old Boys, we share similar stories of our time at the School."

Below are some photos taken of Alando with the Kubota Spears in his role as the Forwards Coach.

Coaching

CoachingCoaching