"Form 7 was a defining year for me" - Jack Cao '06
Thursday, 24 August 2017
It is often during their high school years that most people find subjects that they do well in or are passionate about. However for Jack Cao '06, it was the subjects that he disliked which helped him break away from certain stereotypes and shape him into the person he is today.

"I never particularly enjoyed the subjects I studied - Maths, Accounting, the Sciences. However, it was through these subjects that I found an interest in politics, international relations and language based studies, recommended to me by Dr Jenks, Mr Simento and Mr Knights.

"Form 7 was a defining year for me and I was able to break the mould of the 'Asian stereotype' and choose subjects that I was able to enjoy. Grammar helped me to pursue a career outside the fields I was expected to participate in."

Taking his time and not making spur-of-the-moment decisions has been an invaluable learning for Jack. Heading straight to the University of Auckland after leaving Grammar, he began a Bachelor of Science, which he dropped out of after two years. "I rushed into my degree and I didn't really enjoy it. But after taking a gap year to backpack around Europe, I was ready to start on the right track and I have just completed my Bachelor of Laws from AUT University, a degree that I thoroughly enjoyed."

Jack took up a position as part-time intern at the United States Consulate General, a role that came about from his time spent in the US Embassy Youth Council in 2016. He now works on contract as a Public Affairs Assistant.

"The Council is a youth engagement project directed by the US Embassy, where students participated in a number of events run by the Consulate. The idea behind the Council is help students form an idea of how public diplomacy works and the different events the US Mission undertakes in New Zealand."

Standing out from the crowd at Grammar paved the way for Jack to pursue a career path that he is able to thrive in. He makes sure he keeps in touch with Dr Jenks and a group of his classmates on a regular basis. "My closest friend at law school was also from Grammar, and a group of us still meet up for drinks or board games every couple of months."

Jack's decision to drop his Science degree and take a year off didn't feel like a mistake; in fact, he embraced it. He was not afraid to start a completely new degree in order to pursue the career path he knew felt right for him.

Jack Cao graduating
Jack Cao after graduating with a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Auckland

The Berlin Wall
Behind part of the Berlin Wall

Backpacking around Europe
Jack took a year off and backpacked around Europe