A message from incoming OBA President Murray McKinnon '59
Wednesday, 14 December 2022
The School has finished the year on a high note, as was evident at the various functions and events that I attended during the last week of Term 4.

At the Tibbs House annual dinner, Director of Boarding Frank Haszard ‘93 said in his review of the year that there were a number of outstanding results achieved by boarders at the hostel. The Leavers' Dinner held in the Grand Hall at Eden Park was a glittering occasion with 39 university scholarships presented.

The Colours and Performing Arts Assembly and Prizegiving are always great occasions of celebrating success. I would like to congratulate every young man men who crossed the stage at both events. Dux Ryaan Sidhu and Proxime Accessit Daniel Johnston both received enthusiastic applause when presented with their awards.

The monthly Club 70 coffee group were able to held their last few meetings in person at the Berkeley Theatre in Mission Bay, and it was an honour to Headmaster Tim O’Connor address the November meeting.

The inaugural Golf Evening was held in July at the Remuera Golf Club, with 25 Old Boys enjoying the evening, and the annual Pub Quiz, held in September after a two-year hiatus, had 70 Old Boys and masters pack out the upstairs room of the Horse and Trap. We look forward to Team Corrupt defending their title in 2023!

The Old Boys’ Annual General Meeting was held in November and I am pleased to announce that Ben Smythe ‘91 has accepted the position of Vice-President of the Old Boys' Association. An encouraging number of Old Boys, including recent leavers, have signed up for Annual and Life Memberships in the last two months which puts the Association's finances in a good position going into the New Year.

We were thrilled to be able to host the annual Old Boys' Dinner after two postponements and we congratulate our Augusta and Lion Award winners who were recognised and honoured on the night: Dr Jock Carnachan '59, Dr Rob Kirkpatrick '64, Bob Narev '50 and Kyle Jamieson '08.

I would like to congratulate our Form 7 cohort, as they become our most recent Old Boys, from the class of 2018. I hope you will continue to stay connected to Auckland Grammar School, and will join us for reunions in the years to come.

Finally, I wish to express my heartfelt thanks to you, the Old Boys community, for your generous support of both the School and the Old Boys' Association. As Old Boys we are a vital part of the fabric of the School, and I implore you to get involved in any way you can, whether it be passing on the quarterly newsletter to a friend or classmate, or volunteering to assist the Association.

Thank you to those that donated to the Te Ara project which is nearing completion. The new pool was officially opened last week, with our Form 7 students being the first group to enjoy the new facility. We certainly look forward to keeping you up to date with your School and the achievements of its students both present and past in 2023.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Per Angusta Ad Augusta

Murray McKinnon '59
President, Old Boys' Association