From 'quite directionless' to the big screen - Tom Cotton '99
Thursday, 21 July 2022
Auckland Grammar School has a large network of Old Boys from all different walks of life. Most students who come through the hallowed doors of the Great Hall go onto university and have forged careers in business, law, medicine and the arts, with a strong culture that still remains 153 years after the School was officially opened. It is something that resonates with Old Boy Tom Cotton '99. "There is a long history with Old Boys and they are spread out through every country and every industry. It is nice being part of a community that is never far away."

Tom's career path is quite different to those of his peers - a desire to see the world saw him move to the United Kingdom not long after he graduated from university. With more than a decade's worth of gymnastics and martial arts training under his belt and being somewhat "quite directionless" after university, Tom started work as a stunt performer in 2010 after making some connections through his training in 2013, while still based in New Zealand. "A few days on the job became a few weeks, which became a few months, which became 12 years - I have never really looked back."

Having London as his base is the perfect location for Tom, who has performed stunts on a large number of movies and TV shows, including Power Rangers, Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw, The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, Black Widow and most recently The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader. "England is a great base for travelling into Europe and Africa. In regards to the film industry, there is no better place to work in the world right now."

Tom's skills as a stunt performer and body double include acrobatic and technical falls, parkour, stunt driving and working with harnesses, as well as body prosthetics. "I have been incredibly fortunate to work on some high-profile films throughout my career, be a part of some pretty epic scenes and fight some very famous people!"

The film shoots he has been a part of have taken him to some spectacular locations, such as the Maldives while shooting a scene for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. But it was his time on The Batman that sticks out as his favourite shoot to date.

"While shooting The Batman, I took a step up in my responsibilities. Not only did I work as a part of the action design team, I also filmed and edited a lot of the previsualisation for it. This is done by filming the rehearsals and preparation, then delivering a completed shot for the director which can be used as a blueprint for how to shoot the scene. Seeing a scene you have designed being put shot for shot on the big screen is a pretty cool experience."

While New Zealand has experienced its fair share of mandatory lockdown periods, the film industry has managed to keep moving forward without too much disruption. Tom was able to travel from the UK back to Wellington for a month-long shoot, then back to the UK to continue with The Batman, but he admits it hasn't all been smooth sailing.

"COVID has changed how the film industry operates severely, mostly due to the extreme last-minute schedule changes caused by outbreaks. Otherwise it is trucking along quite healthily - in the UK at least."

Being an Old Boy of Auckland Grammar School is something that Tom doesn't take for granted. "It is a school with an amazing reputation, well known throughout New Zealand and the world. It is definitely a bonus having it on your resume when you are first starting out."

He also says that there are so many opportunities out there for everyone to take hold of and own, advice he is very glad he took. "Take the leap, especially while you are young. We live in a world where your career doesn't necessarily have to be decided at 20 years old; get out there and explore! There are opportunities in the world that didn't exist 10 years ago - don't worry if it hasn't all come together by Form 7."