Rugby mad as a kid, still Rugby mad - Anthony Posa '84
Tuesday, 15 March 2022
Auckland Grammar School has a proud history and tradition when it comes to sports, with over 30 different codes on offer to students today. A large number of Old Boys have gone on to represent New Zealand at national and international level, from World Cups to the Olympic Games.

Students who are fortunate enough to call themselves a member of the 1st XV Rugby team take great pride in being a member of this Premier team. Rugby is central to the long tradition of hard-work, determination and success embodied in the School motto Per Angusta Ad Augusta.

With various teams across all year levels, 53 Auckland Grammar Old Boys have gone on to become All Blacks, more than any other school in the country. Many of those Old Boys grew up in homes where family members played rugby, which is exactly how Anthony Posa ’84 became interested in the game.

A second-generation Croatian Kiwi (he and his parents were born in New Zealand but his grandparents were born in Croatia), Anthony grew up in a rugby mad household, so he knew he was on a path to either play or work within the field.

"I started playing rugby as a 5-year-old, barefoot on frosty grounds for my local club Waitemata in West Auckland. My dad had an outstanding career for them, so obviously I tried to follow in his footsteps. I loved it growing up, it was a real family club with a strong Croatian presence, among many other cultures."

Anthony started at Auckland Grammar in Form 4, a move he "wasn't too keen on" to begin with, but he very quickly became immersed in the Grammar way of life. "Grammar instilled in me a camaraderie and culture that has stayed with me well into my coaching life. The lessons I learned there I have attempted to instil in my players, especially when I have worked with Counties or University rugby over here. I am forever grateful to both my parents and the School for those ‘life learnings'."

A very proud Grammar Old Boy who admits he "keeps an eye on how the 1st XV team is tracking" via social media, Anthony is now permanently based in Europe taking on roles as Head of Rugby at the University of Sheffield, Head Coach at Sheffield Rugby Club and the coach of the Croatian 7s team, after playing in the Croatian national team for a decade.

"I have been coaching the Croatian team since 2014, alongside another Croatian-Kiwi, Milan Yelavich. Because of my commitments in the UK, I wasn’t able to make every campaign, and Milan had his own business back in New Zealand, but between the two of us, we did our best to compete against a lot of nations that have more financial and playing resources than us."

Current COVID-19 restrictions across Europe have meant that Anthony is now coaching both the 7s and the national team due to Milan being unable to travel, and he is thrilled that his efforts are starting to pay dividends. "Our hard work is starting to pay off though, with both the sevens and the fifteens having great results recently. We have two tough upcoming games against Malta and Israel and if we win those we will achieve promotion to our highest ever level since the current Rugby Europe system began."

While coaching rugby back in New Zealand is - and still remains - a big dream, Anthony affirms that the UK is home for now but he has some big ideas for rugby in his second home. "My greatest professional achievement was anytime Croatia won at the national team level. To do that for a country that was the birthplace of all four of my grandparents is such a special feeling. To keep the history alive, I would love to start Rugby Academies in Croatia where players can be supported to train full time alongside their studies, similar to what I have done for many years in England."

When asked about what words of wisdom he could give to current students - not just those who are playing rugby - Anthony’s advice was simple. "Find a job you love and have a serious passion for. Enjoying your 'work' makes life that much more fulfilling."