New Zealand CIO Finalist Avinash de Silva '07
Wednesday, 1 September 2021
Interviews with Old Boys conducted over the years have had a common thread - these gentlemen are proud to be Old Boys of Auckland Grammar School, and this is certainly the case with Avinash de Silva '07.

"I am proud when I meet business leaders and learn that we share the same alma mater. I am proud that no matter where I run into a Grammar Old Boy, I am always blown away by what they are doing in the world. Grammar really does set you up for success, no matter what you choose to do."

Avinash enjoyed his time at Auckland Grammar immensely. Whether it was training with the crew as part of the Rowing squad – "you spend the better part of your year training for a race that lasted less than 7 minutes" – the "months of hard work and rehearsals, plus the sense of teamwork and comradery" with the combined School productions with Epsom Girls Grammar School, or travelling through the Swiss Alps to learn more about the landscape for Geography, the School set Avinash up with lifelong skills that he still uses today.

"I learned a lot about how excellence isn't just something you turn up and deliver, it is a habit that takes months of training and preparation to get into."

After finishing at Grammar, Avinash completed a Bachelor of Engineering Technology, majoring in Mechanical Engineering from AUT. "I chose to study engineering at AUT because of its reputation for producing graduates who are 'job ready', but one of the things I have enjoyed most about my studies was how my degree taught me to look at problems and break them down. That's a way of thinking I still apply every day to my work."

Currently working as the Technology and Platforms Manager at Fresh Direct, Avinash is responsible for the technology and hardware that enables us to track and sell hundreds of tonnes of produce every year. The company has a presence in every supermarket in the country and Avinash's main role is working on different projects that seek to improve how the company operates.

"My team and I do extensive analysis on how the company executes its physical and virtual processes, and I find ways to make this better through the use of technology. This is immensely satisfying, as it's not just about making the company work better, it's also about improving the quality of our employee's jobs and making them happier at work."

The high calibre of work that Avinash does on a daily basis, as well as looking after his team, comes from the lessons he was taught as a student at Grammar. "I learnt some crucial life lessons both inside and outside the classroom. The School expects a lot from you in all aspects of life - how to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat, how to drive for success coupled with quiet humility. I am really driven to ask questions and to hold the work I do to a high standard."

These questions, coupled with his attitude and desire to constantly improve the way things are done, led Avinash to be named as a finalist in the 2021 New Zealand CIO Awards, as one of four 'Emerging ICT Leaders', recognising and encouraging exceptional ICT talent by professionals under 33 years of age. Avinash was recognised for his passion and commitment to complex cloud transformation projects and the leadership he shows by leading Fresh Direct through a multi-year transformation process.

Avinash said receiving the call and his finalist certificate was an unreal feeling. "I was in a room full of the biggest and best names in the industry, and they were all coming over to congratulate me and shake my hand. It is a moment I will remember for the rest of my life!"

With the awards ceremony now postponed until November due to the current COVID restrictions, Avinash has time to reflect on his career to date, and says his greatest achievement is his track record for delivering some pretty significant projects. "'I have done projects that resulted in massive cost savings, started new business units, and helped charities interface with their donors and clients more efficiently. Being able to look back at the work I have done gives me a sense of pride, but also confidence to know that I can do this again."

Asking questions and staying curious is the best piece of advice Avinash could give to current students at Auckland Grammar. "There are always going to be situations in your future work or personal life where something doesn't quite add up. Just lean into those moments and try to figure out what's happening. You are receiving a first-rate education and that will get you where you need to be."