An astounding tale of survival - Phil Kerslake '73
Thursday, 25 March 2021

Being diagnosed with cancer - at any age - is a devastating blow. But imagine being just two years out of high school only to be told that you have multiple tumours and you may only have another 10 years to live. This is the harsh reality that Phil Kerslake '73 had to face at just 19 years old - but it was a diagnosis he would not accept.

Now in his early sixties, Phil is acknowledged as one of the world's most extraordinary and prolific cancer survivors, after surviving not just one, but eight different cancer diagnoses of an incurable lymphoma. "I am proud of my survivorship, which has been hard earned."

Phil's symptoms first appeared when he was in Form 3 at Auckland Grammar in 1973, the same year the late Sir John Graham started his tenure as Headmaster. "I developed enlarged lymph glands at both axillae. At that point my doctor diagnosed me with glandular fever and swore me off playing any sport for six months." Aside from the lumps, Phil had no other ill effects and continued playing in various extracurricular activities including Football and Karate.

Phil clearly remembers the day he was told the lumps were more than glandular fever. "It was 2 April 1979 and after surgery, scans and an array of other tests, I spoke with two doctors. They told me I have tumours, that it was one of the better cancers to have but the prognosis was not good."

After reeling from the shock and going home to "hit a very heavy punching bag", Phil realised he had no idea how he might cope with cancer. It also did not help that Auckland Hospital took the "wait and watch" approach. Phil was brought in every three months for tests, scans and sometimes a biopsy to see if the cancer had spread. "It is a legitimate medical strategy, but proved too passive for my liking. After two revisits I resolved to just get on with normal life and dropped out of the system."

Phil moved from Auckland to Wellington three years after his original diagnosis and spoke to his new GP about his choice to live as normal a life as possible. His doctor agreed to monitor him, unless things progressed. Sadly, they did and by 1987, after more blood tests, Phil was told by his doctor, "According to these results, you should be dead." This prompted the first of many hospital treatments for Stage 4 cancer.

Despite decades of remissions followed by multiple recurrences, relapses and new diagnoses, Phil was optimistic about his chances for survival. He spoke to hundreds of patients during his hospital stays, conversations which invariably turned to how the other was coping with treatments. He saw the effects of how cancer affects not just a person's physical state, but their mental state as well and was purposeful in the way he reacted to his situation. "I have taken an active interest in how one's mental and emotional responses to cancer and its treatments could help you cope and be a 'better performing patient'."

These conversations led Phil to the Wellington Cancer Society, stemming from a relationship which developed in the late 1980s. With first-hand experience, Phil spoke to the cancer support group and realised a book would be helpful to other patients. "The group were probing, challenging, insightful and ultimately, very supportive of the idea. One member, an editor herself facing an incurable disease, pulled no punches in asking me, "How many more of us have to die before you write this book?"

In 2006, Life, Happiness... and Cancer: Survive with Action and Attitude was published. Phil knew what he wanted to say. "Once I had the structure and contents decided, the book virtually wrote itself, and it had turned out exactly how I had envisaged it." The book was a gamechanger and Phil started talking to various groups, including cancer support non-government organisations, District Health Boards, and other support groups.

While Phil has continued to speak to audiences and spread the word about his book and experiences with living with a terminal illness, his cancer journey is still ongoing. In 2016, he learned he had relapsed with lymphoma for an astounding eighth time, and his kidneys had all but shut down. "I have been through various treatments since, and have again been unable to work. But I collaborate with my oncologist to keep my quality of life and general wellbeing at a good level."

Phil's work with the Cancer Society and supporting others led to his appointment as a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit (MNZM) for services to people with cancer. "I am passionate about my work in supportive care and the potential to help others navigate cancer and it gruelling treatments. So many people give of themselves freely and no one does it for public recognition. But I found myself overjoyed because for me working as an individual collaborating with the NGO's, it felt like validation of what I do and how I do it."

Despite living with a terminal illness for the past four decades, Phil’s advice for those who may be going through a similar situation is very simple. "Believe completely in your ability to beat the disease, and be active and participative in your treatment and care decision making at all times."