"Every singer's dream" - Will King '09
Monday, 25 March 2019
Each year, up to four New Zealand singers are selected for an internship through the Dame Malvina Major Emerging Artists for New Zealand Opera programme. The winners are given the opportunity to sing in various concerts and the NZ Opera chorus.

One of three winners chosen in 2019, baritone singer Will King '09 says it is one of his greatest professional achievements to date. "The amount of inside information in the opera industry and the skills you get set up with in the programme are just experiences you cannot get anywhere else in the country."

Will was in multiple music groups during his time at Auckland Grammar, including the Barbershop Quartet, GrammAcoustix choir, and had the starring role in the 2013 School production of Jesus Christ Superstar. Will was also the vocalist for the Stage band and remembers one particular moment performing with them in assembly: "Singing the Michael Bublé version of Feelin' Good to the entire student body was one of the most terrifying experiences I have had!"

Will as the titular character (standing) in Jesus Christ Superstar

While he loved performing and singing on stage, Will actually had a different career path in mind during his senior years at Grammar. "I studied Music as a subject, but only up until Form 6. At the time I was convinced that Music wouldn't be relevant to my then future in Commerce." However, Will followed his love and passion for Music and completed his Bachelor of Music degree with Honours, majoring in Classical Voice, at the New Zealand School of Music in Wellington.

In January this year, through the Emerging Artist programme, Will spent two weeks having lessons from acclaimed international tutors and said it was "every singer's dream". Taught at the New Zealand Opera School, each morning would start with an hour-long exercise called Muscles and Bones, before heading into tutorials throughout the day. "That's how it should be. Working hard, learning, practicing and spending time with the other singers is fantastic. You can feel yourself progressing and becoming stronger."

Will has had great success in a number of prestigious competitions, including winning the 2018 Wellington Aria Competition and second place at the 2018 Becroft North Shore Aria Competition.

As well as the Aria competitions, Will has played pivotal roles in several major operas, including the title character in Monteverdi's L'orfeo, Count Almaviva in The Marriage of Figaro and Sam in Gareth Farr's The Bone Feeder for New Zealand Opera and the Auckland Arts Festival.

With Auckland Grammar's 150th celebrations now just six weeks away, the School is very excited that Will has offered to perform with several of the music groups at three of the musical events, including the Musical Extravaganza, alongside several other prominent musicians.

Performing at his alma mater during this momentous milestone in the School's history is something Will is very proud to be a part of. "It means a lot to me to be part of these celebrations, as I want to show Grammar students that singing is something that you can pursue and there are so many directions you can take it!"

Will credits his extremely vigorous work ethic on his time at Auckland Grammar. "Being part of a school that placed so much importance on academic achievement enabled me to learn what it meant to work hard." It is this work ethic that has helped Will succeed in the New Zealand opera scene to date - and he knows to be his own person and to work hard on achieving his very best.

"You might be a big fish at school but there are some talented people out there. Don't bother comparing yourself to them, but learn from watching them and think about how you can incorporate what they are doing well into what you do."