"Be consistent, make the sacrifices" - Steve Froggatt '89
Thursday, 18 July 2024
With more than 30 sports on offer to students at Auckland Grammar School, there is something for every student at every playing level and ability, something that Steve Froggatt is grateful for. “I was very fortunate to have the opportunities at Grammar to play many sports including Rugby, Cricket, Basketball, Water Polo, Hockey and Tennis.”

Tennis has always been a key part of Steve’s life, having enjoyed watching and playing it from an early age. “I played for the Ellerslie Tennis Club for 10 years as a junior player and had some great success.” Steve was selected for the Junior A Tennis team in Form 3 which became his focus for the summer months, while Rugby was his main sport during the winter. “Rugby was always a big part of my life with my father coaching me through juniors at Te Papapa RFC and watching all my Grammar games. Tennis was always the sport to fill in time until the rugby season rolled back around.”

While as a junior player during his time at Grammar, Steve started officiating games and became an umpire to become more involved with the sport, beginning as a line umpire, then progressing to chair umpire. Sadly, Steve stopped playing Tennis at the end of Form 6 when he took an opportunity and moved to the United Kingdom to play Rugby in Leicestershire. “Like most kids growing up in New Zealand, playing for the All Blacks was always the goal!”

While his Rugby career didn’t pan out, Steve continued to be involved with umpiring Tennis including at a number of internationally-renowned tournaments. “I have been an umpire/linesman at local level, ATP/WTA and ITF Grand Slams having started at the Auckland Tennis Centre, but my standout highlight was being a line umpire at both the Australian Open and Wimbledon in 1994 and 1995!”

After relocating to Port St Lucie, Florida, Steve’s Tennis career was revitalised through seeing his own kids playing. “After taking a 28-year break, I got a love for the sport again after meeting my tennis coaching partner Luisa and started playing in some local tournaments.” Steve started competing again in 2023 when he qualified to represent Florida in the 40+ singles division at the USTA National Championships, making the quarterfinals. “To get to Nationals I had to qualify at the regional level winning the Golden Ticket, then I had to make the top two at sectionals. Just getting to Nationals was a major step forward as only two players from each state are selected to compete.”

Finishing out 2023 with an 87% winning record, Steve moved up a grade, competing at a higher level, and in April 2024, he was granted a wildcard to the USTA National Championships in Arizona in the 40+ singles division. “It was an incredible experience – I went through the whole tournament unbeaten and was crowned the 2024 USTA National Champion, beating out some of the best players in the country!”

Currently ranked #2 for singles in Florida (40+), #5 for singles (40+) and #6 for mixed doubles (18+) in the nation, Steve has some lofty goals for his renewed Tennis career. “I would love to get to #1 in the US for my division and win Nationals again. Once I turn 50, I want to start playing in some international tournaments and win a ‘Golden Ball’, which is awarded to any winner of a singles or doubles national title in all gender and age divisions.”

When he isn’t on the Tennis courts, Steve is team leader for The Froggatt Group, a subsidiary of The Keyes Company, the largest independent Real Estate brokerage firm in Florida, with over 3,500 sales associates. Having worked in residential Real Estate for the past 13 years, The Froggatt Group deals mostly with corporate relocations to Florida. “My main role is to guide the team in their transactions and help build their business. The company has more than 50 offices along the Southeast coastline all the way down to Miami, and the team has consistently been in the top 1% company producers for the last seven years.”

Steve is a proud Old Boy of Auckland Grammar School with his father Gary, uncles Wayne, Grant and Hylton all attending in the 1960s, as well as his nephews Bradley and Ethan who are recent leavers and were boarders at Tibbs House. “Every kiwi I have met around the world knows Auckland Grammar School! It was always a special time in my life to be at Grammar. It gives you a sense of pride and community that you still belong to many years after leaving. I thank Grammar for the discipline and structure at a young age and for keeping us on the right path as young men.”

When asked if he had any advice for students wishing to pursue sports at a higher level, Steve came back to the tried-and-true formula of ‘practice makes perfect’. “Be consistent in everything you do. Practice as you want to play, make the sacrifices, nobody is going to do the hard work for you. Prepare yourself, set your goals and work hard to achieve them. If you fail, work harder to get better and make the changes. Surround yourself by good people who will guide you on your journey. Take your opportunities when they are presented, you may not get another chance.”