Professor William (Twink) Allen '54 CBE (1940-2021)

Twink passed away on 6 June 2021, aged 80. He was a notable expert in equine reproduction, pioneering many of the advances that are regarded as normal practice today. After graduating in Veterinary Science from the University of Sydney in 1965, he obtained his PhD from the University of Cambridge in 1970, eventually becoming the Jim Joel Professor of Equine Reproduction 1996 - 2007.

After two years as a postdoctoral Fellow at the Animal Research Station, Twink become Director of the Equine Fertility Unit (EFU), with which he was associated for 35 years. After the EFU's closure in 2007, Twink retired from his university post to set up the Paul Mellon Laboratory of Equine Reproduction in Newmarket to continue his research until 2015. His final position was Director of The Equine Reproduction Laboratory at Sharjah Equine Hospital, UAE from 2016.

Twink's work is credited with increasing the fertility rate in stallions from 70% to 95% in only two decades, a major boost to the racing industry. His particular area of expertise was early pregnancy in the mare. Techniques were developed for embryo transfer, both within and across species. This led to the birth of the first identical twin foals produced by embryo splitting and the first successful birth of a horse from a frozenthawed embryo.

Twink also investigated fertility and reproduction in other species, notably camels and elephants, and used embryo transfer to help preserve endangered species such as zebra and Przewalski's horse.

Once invited to Clarence House by the Queen Mother to discuss her racehorses, he was aghast to find his favourite gin not available with the offered gin and tonic. Twink addressed this the following day with a delivery of said bottle to the butler, accompanied by a polite request to pass it on to the Queen Mother.

Twink was a Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, received many international honours and awards, and was an Emeritus Professor at Robinson College, Cambridge. In 2018, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Symposia of Equine Reproduction and awarded a CBE in 2002.

Victor George Bartley '52 (1938-2021)

Victor passed away on 21 December 2021 aged 83. Starting at Auckland Grammar School in Form 3 in 1952, he was a member of the School orchestra playing the French horn and the cornet, he played Cricket and Hockey and was a member of the Steeplechase team.

Victor graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Auckland before returning to his alma mater to teach Mathematics and Science from 1962 to 1975.

Victor was a long serving Athletics Auckland official, pioneering the photo finish at Mount Smart Stadium during the 1970s and he continued on as an operator for the next 20 years, including officiating at the 1990 Auckland Commonwealth Games. He received an Athletics Auckland Merit Award for his services to the sport.

Emeritus Professor Peter Bergquist '48 (1934-2020)

Peter passed away on 26 December 2020, aged 86. He was a world-renowned molecular biologist, who pioneered techniques in cloning and expressing genes from thermophilic organisms and extremophiles - organisms that thrive in high temperatures such as geothermal areas.

Peter was an Honorary Professor of Molecular Medicine and Emeritus Professor of Molecular Genetics in the Department of Molecular Medicine and Pathology at the University of Auckland, Adjunct Professor of Biological Sciences at Waikato University and Emeritus Professor of Biology at Macquarie University.

He was a founding scientist when the ZyGem Corporation was formed in 2004. This successful biotechnology company developed products that use thermophilic enzymes for DNA profiling in human forensics and animal livestock genetic testing.

Peter was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2012 for services to science, presented with his insignia from then Governor General, The Rt. Hon. Lt. Gen. Sir Jerry Mateparae.

Sir John Buchanan '56 (1943-2015)

John was a passionate Old Boy who spoke to the School at assembly in 2014. One of his key messages to the School will be remembered:

"Patience, persistence, determination, ongoing learning and curiosity were and are the watch words. The more you put in, the more you get out and wider options are created through time. Always seek the best environment, the best company and the best people to work with - use the beneficial experience of Grammar. You have made a great start. Leave understanding these few words: Competition, excellence, confidence, humility - not one factor unique to Grammar, but they way they come together here is distinctive. A great start for life's exciting journey."

John was a successful businessman whose long and distinguished career included a number of high profile positions at some of the world's leading companies, including BP, Smith & Nephew, BHP Billiton and Vodafone.

Raised in South Auckland, John came to Grammar in 1956 after two years at Otara Intermediate School. A bright student, he excelled at Biology and Chemistry while at Grammar and went on to complete a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry in 1964, a Master of Science in 1965 and a PhD in Organic Chemistry in 1968 at the University of Auckland before heading to Oxford University to conduct post-doctoral research.

In 1970, John began a career with BP that was to last for more than three decades, until 2002. As the company's Chief Financial Officer, he oversaw the merger with Amoco in 1998 - the world's biggest industrial merger at the time, valued at approximately $50 billion.

In 1976, John was seconded to the UK Cabinet Office Think Tank and in 1977, he completed a PMD at the Harvard Business School. He was a board member for Boots from 1997-2003, a member of the UK Accounting Standards Board from 1997-2001 and also served as Deputy Chairman of Vodafone, board member of Astra Zeneca, chairman of Smith & Nephew and senior independent director of BHP Billiton.

In 2007, John was a recipient of the inaugural Augusta Award, the Auckland Grammar School Old Boys' Association's highest award, for his services to business. Knighted in the UK in 2012 for his services to industry, he also received accolades at home with a Lifetime Contribution to Finance and Business Award as part of the 2012 New Zealand CFO Awards.

John was Chairman of the UK Trustees for the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal. To date the UK Trustees have raised over $4 million directly and from UK charities, with the money going to support causes such as the Women's Refuge, sports and arts facilities in Canterbury and the Burwood community.

Although his career saw him spending most of his working life overseas, John was always keen to help the School with various projects. A trustee and former chairman of the UK Friends of Auckland Grammar School, he established the Sir John Buchanan Boarding Scholarship to Tibbs House in 2012 to ensure the Grammar educational experience was available to young South Auckland students, "for the benefit of the school, the community and the nation".

Avon Cook '43 ONZM (1928-2021)

Avon passed away on 11 August 2021, aged 92. He started in 3C in 1943, and was involved in Cricket, making his way up to the 1st XI team by the time he was in Form 6.

A pioneer entrepreneur, Avon had been in business in New Zealand since 1946, after leaving school at 18."I had no academic qualification. When one commences a career it never enters one's mind that your life's work might be considered a contribution to New Zealand. You just have a passion to succeed honourably."

Avon was the Chairman and Director of Fabricell International Ltd and the Director of Novatek International PTY Ltd. Fabricell is a leading medical, industrial and food processing protection supplier. Under Mr Cook's guidance the company grew significantly and was exporting its products to a wide range of countries.

He pioneered world-class products, such as the first anti-bacterial disposable glove for the food industry. He also engaged in philanthropic activities and in 2011, Fabricell donated $250,000 worth of their product to the Christchurch Earthquake Disaster Fund. Under his guidance Fabricell has become the preferred supplier of disposable medicine gloves to the South East Asian market. Mr Cook has also been a highly active member of the Auckland Jewish Community and is a member of the Grafton United Cricket Club in Auckland.

In an interview after receiving his Royal Honour he said that his personal proudest moment was scoring a century for the Auckland Grammar School 1st XI and being chosen twice for consideration to represent Auckland. "But my greatest and proudest commercial achievement was establishing the first NZ/Japanese Joint Venture in 1960."

Avon was made a an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to the manufacturing industry, in the 2017 Queen's Birthday Honours.

Martin Crowe '76 MBE (1962-2016)

Martin passed away in 2016, after a long battle with cancer. Martin started at Grammar in 1976 and was a capable academic, being named Deputy Head Prefect in Form 7.

Martin excelled at cricket and was a member of the 1st X1 from Form 4. He went on to captain the side for two years (1979 - 1980). He has been described as one of the very best cricketers the School has ever produced, playing with teammates Martin Greatbach '76 and Grant Fox '76 who was, with Crowe, also a member of Graham Henry's 1st XV in 1980. Martin Crowe was an a capable sportsman also playing in the School's senior squash team.

As a talented schoolboy cricketer he made his first class debut before the start of his seventh form year top scoring for Auckland in his first outing. He was selected as New Zealand's Young Cricketer to Lord's in 1981 at just 19 years old. Two years later he was selected on a full tour of England and what followed was a career that will forever mark him as one of the greatest cricketers this country has ever seen.

He finished his test career in 1995 having played 77 tests, 16 of which were as captain, Martin averaged 45.36 with the bat including 17 centuries including New Zealand's highest test total at the time of 299 at the Basin Reserve.

He was named New Zealand Sportsman of the Year in 1991 and made an MBE for services to cricket the same year. He concluded his ODI career having played 143 internationals averaging over 38 and scoring 4 centuries with his most famous innings being his century against Australia in the opening game of the 1992 World Cup at Eden Park. His first class career saw him score nearly 20,000 runs and his average of just over 56, places him amongst some of the best players of all time.

Subsequent to his playing career, Martin remained an innovative student of the game and was not afraid to speak out on the path authorities chose cricket to take.

He pioneered Cricket MAX as an abbreviated form of the game well before the development of Twenty 20 cricket across the world and he was active on various committees looking at ways of strengthening the position of cricket through the use of hawk-eye technology and the introduction of a world test championship. He was inducted into the New Zealand Sports Hall of Fame in 2001 and the International Cricket Council Hall of Fame during the Cricket World Cup in 2015.

1977 - 5 for 7 runs versus Howick/Pakuranga Men's team, and 5 for 31 wickets versus Marist Men's Club team

1978 - 104 versus Howick/Pakuranga and 192 versus Christchurch Boys' High School

1979 - Captain of the 1st XI Cricket team and scored 325 runs at an average of 40.6

1980 - Deputy Head Prefect, captain of the 1st XI Cricket team, a member of the 1st XV Rugby team, the New Zealand Schools Cricket team, the Auckland Under 23 Cricket team and the Auckland Senior Men's Shell Shield team

Michael Farrell

In 2014, the School lost a dear staff member, Heritage Officer Michael Farrell. He had served the School loyally for 44 years, teaching at Auckland Grammar School from 1970-2003 and more recently as Heritage Officer.

With an Master of Arts (with Honours) in Latin, Michael joined the esteemed cohort of language teachers at Grammar as a Latin master, before becoming Head of the Languages department in 1977; a post he held for 26 years.

Mike was very well regarded by his colleagues and his students - many of whom ask after him at overseas reunions. He was known as knowledgeable, encouraging and enthusiastic about Latin and the Romans. Most of all, he was passionate about Auckland Grammar School, its students, old boys and community who he served generously and faithfully for his entire professional life.

Mike involved himself fully in academic matters pertinent to the teaching world and his contributions and achievements included Chief Examiner SC, SFC and Scholarship (Latin), author of Latin textbooks, a member of the Academic Committee of NZEST, Secretary of the Auckland Association of Language Teachers, Secretary-Treasurer of the Auckland Classical Association, a Woolf Fisher Fellow, and the instigator of the School's Western Heritage Tour.

Since retiring from teaching in 2003, he has held the post of Heritage Officer, working part time in the School's Development Office. His most satisfying venture has been the establishment of the Augusta Fellowship, along with old boy Stewart Matthews '48.

As part of his Heritage Officer role, Mike hosted the successful old boy reunion programme each year. His School tours were a legendary part of the annual reunions and he shared his incredible knowledge of students and teachers who have passed through Grammar's gates. Mr Farrell was a servant to the School in his various roles as teacher, Head of Department and Heritage Officer; roles he performed professionally and with personality.

Mike's last visit to Grammar was in September 2014, where he led a tour with his family and old boy and friend George Marshall '38. After concluding the tour he fine-tuned his tour book for future generations. Together with George, he also completed months of work that week, a full staff list of Auckland Grammar School from 1869-2012. As one old boy put it: "We should praise Caesar as we bury him." Such is the man.

Professor Raoul Franklin '48 CBE (1935-2021)

Raoul passed away in October 2021, aged 86. A very able child and during the height of the polio epidemic, Raoul sat the elite National Entrance Scholarship Exam and came top in the country in Mathematics at just 15 years of age, receiving a top mark of 383 out of 400. "Formal schooling was suspended, and we did assignments and other coursework and on one's textbooks but done at home. This allowed me to work at my own pace, and particularly in Mathematics, I 'shot ahead'."

As he was too young to attend university, Raoul spent a year at Auckland Grammar School, where he broadened his knowledge of English Language and Literature and he was named Dux.

Raoul studied Mathematics and Civil Engineering at the University of New Zealand (which was dissolved in 1961), completing and Bachelor of Engineering and a Bachelor of Science simultaneously. He then completed Masters degrees in both Science and Engineering before completing his DPhil in Plasma Physics at the University of Oxford.

In 1963, Raoul was selected as Keble College's first Fellow in Engineering Science, becoming Senior Dean in charge of discipline. Because of his unusual breadth of scientific specialisms, Raoul was elected to City University's General Board of Faculties, before becoming Vice-Chancellor, holding the position from 1978 to 1998, longer than any other before him.

These 20 years as Vice-Chancellor were a source of considerable pride, says his family. The University, under his leadership, was transformed from a place that specialised in Engineering to one that offered a wide variety of courses relevant to a modern economy and society.

Raoul and his wife Faith were actively involved in giving back to the staff of the University. The salary he earned as Chairman of City Technology Limited would go to creating countless meals for the staff at the University's house in Myddleton Square. By the end of his tenure, City University had gone from strength to strength and rested on secure long-term financial foundations.

Raoul was appointed an honourary fellow of Keble College in 1980, and he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1995.

Well after he retired, Raoul remained intellectually active. He joined the Open University on Boars Hill in Oxford as Visiting Professor and was able to get back to publishing cutting-edge papers on Plasma Physics, averaging about ten papers a year for the next few years.

Raoul established the Driver Orange Award for Physics and Mathematics, named in honour of two great Grammar teachers who inspired him through their teaching of Physics and Mathematics, Teddy Driver and Fred Orange '35. These gentlemen provided inspiration for students and are remembered for their positive influence on Old Boys.

25-year master, David Friedlander '64 (1950-2015)

A 25 year Grammar master, David passed away in 2015, after an 18-month illness. David was a proud Auckland Grammar School Old Boy. After gaining an Master of Arts (with Honours) from The University of Auckland, David commenced his relief teaching at his old school.

He taught at Herschel School in Cape Town and Jeppe Boys' High School in Johannesburg before becoming a permanent relief teacher at Grammar in 1988.

David chose to be a full-time relief teacher throughout this extended 27 years of service and filled in as a full time teacher in a range of subjects on numerous occasions throughout his tenure. He enjoyed the contact he had with our young men and saw thousands pass through our gates. He enjoyed being able to contribute to the life of Auckland Grammar School. There is no doubt his service to Grammar was remarkable.

25-year master, Rodney Gordon (1967-2022)

Mr Rodney Gordon, a beloved 25-year Grammar master, passed away peacefully at home on Monday 18 April.

Rodney was courageous in fighting his illness over the last decade, and travelled the world, with the support of the Grammar community, seeking treatment, so he had more time with family and more time in the classroom, teaching the subject he loved.

Always with a positive outlook, Rodney was a man who did not like being unwell; he would often be seen running barefooted around the top field before school in order to retain some form of fitness, independence and normality. The classroom and being at school amongst boys and colleagues provided him with a reprieve from his illness and he valued the support given to him by the Commerce department, the Water Polo fraternity and the wider School community.

Rodney's name is synonymous with Auckland Grammar School. Having taught at Grammar since 1992, he was in his 31st year teaching all levels of Economics and had been responsible for NCEA Economics since late 2003 until his illness prevented him from continuing with this responsibility. He had also taught IGCSE / Pre-Q Business Studies and NCEA Accounting. He was a well-respected master who was a specialist teacher who had forged and maintained very strong relationships with students and colleagues across the school.

Outside the classroom, Rodney was committed to the School's extracurricular programme. reflected in his leadership of Cross Country, the Distance Squad, Triathlon and Water Polo at various times in his tenure. He had been Master in Charge of Triathlon since 1992 and was responsible for introducing the sport at Grammar.

Rodney had been a recognisable figure running with the Distance Squad on early mornings and thereafter advancing his personal fitness, including when extremely unwell in the pool, on the track or on the roads. He was excited about the development of the 150th pool project and will be remembered as being an influencer who helped initiate interest in the concept of an outdoor pool purpose-fit for Swimming and Water Polo.

Numerous Grammar teams went on to win national titles under his watchful eye, including New Zealand Secondary Schools championships in Cross Country, Road Racing, Triathlon and Water Polo. Largely away from school, he had a love of surf lifesaving and the sea which was something he passed on to his sons and many Old Boys.

Rodney will be remembered for his generosity of spirit, his willingness to freely help students with their studies or a training schedule and was always invigorated by seeing Old Boys go on to represent New Zealand in their chosen sports. He was a proud Grammar man who was a selfless contributor while role-modelling the School's values in his everyday life. At the same time his stubborn, fiercely independent approach to fighting his illness was admired by his colleagues and students alike.

Rodney will be greatly missed by students, staff, Old Boys and friends of the School, and our deepest sympathies are extended to Sue and his family.

Sir John Graham KNZM CBE ED (1935-2017)

In 2017, the wider Grammar community celebrated the life of Sir John Graham, the ninth Headmaster of Auckland Grammar School.

John led a rich and fulfilled life. Born in Stratford, he grew up on the family farm in Putaruru. He attended Lichfield Primary School where he began to develop his love of learning. John then boarded at New Plymouth Boys' High School, rising to be Head Prefect, and captain of both the Cricket 1st XI and the 1st XV.

His rugby was heavily influenced by the late J. J. Stewart, who coached the 1st XV (and later the All Blacks). John started as back, indeed he played as first-five against Grammar at Eden Park in the Traditional match, with Wilson Whineray '48 the Grammar half back. But J. J. Stewart was unconvinced, and he informed John he was too slow for the backs, but could make a good forward.

John obtained an Master of Arts (with Honours) in History from the University of Auckland before entering Teachers' College, where he met Shiela McGregor. This was the start of a great and loving partnership that endured to the day he died. John followed Shiela to Christchurch, taking a position at Christchurch Boys' High School. On the field, he broke into the Canterbury side and then the All Blacks.

After 11 years in Christchurch, he took a promotion to Linwood High School before unsuccessfully applying for the Headmastership at his old school, New Plymouth - a setback that at the time seemed devastating. Soon after, when the Grammar position was advertised, he did not immediately apply. However, his good friend, Wilson Whineray, talked him into putting his name forward. John vividly remembered the interview; a Ministry representative asked him about the role he perceived of a Student Council at Grammar. His immediate response was that there was no role. John believed that answer swung him the vote. And so, to Grammar where John spent 21 years.

John readily accepted the advice of his predecessor, Sir Henry Cooper: never approach the lectern unprepared as "they will know", spend time getting to know the boys, and do not mess with success. Assemblies were carefully planned and John met the boys presenting sick notes each day. He spent Saturdays on the sports fields, literally, to remove any boy in the wrong uniform. He embraced streaming and many hours would be spent reviewing lists to ensure boys were in the right class for their needs. He commented on every report. John valued participation in extracurricular activities, for both boys and staff.

His mantra was simple: do your best; success would be measured by determination. He truly believed in the spirit of the School as a potent weapon against the oft-held dislike of all things Grammar in an increasingly politically correct world. Old Boys recall the fortress-like mentality he instilled in all of them. His wit and humour shone through as his headmastership lengthened, and he had a humanity that outstripped his gruff exterior; John never held a grudge and had a remarkable ability to close issues and move on.

John left the headmastership in mid-1993, but he avidly followed the exploits of his former pupils and took great pleasure in the continued successes of the School. John had many roles after Grammar - the Black Caps, Rugby Foundation, Woolf Fisher Trust, Academic Colleges Group, the New Zealand Education Scholarship Trust, and his success as commissioner at Ngā Tupuwae College being particular highlights.

John was also publicly honoured for his many contributions: a CBE, an honorary Doctorate from the University of Auckland, the Blake Medal, a Distinguished Citizen award, and, of course, a Knighthood.

But many of his proudest moments came from his remarkable life with Shiela and the successes of their children and grandchildren. His love for his family was his foundation. John was a remarkable New Zealander, a man driven by a limitless belief in the ability of everyone to succeed if given the right opportunities and support.

He had boundless enthusiasm and a heart as big as his mighty hands. His loss is immeasurable - rest in peace, Sir John.

Ron (Waldo) Granwal '55 (1941-2020)

Waldo passed away last November in Australia, aged 79. A memorial service was held at the Maclaurin Chapel at the University of Auckland. It was here Waldo initially studied Civil Engineering and later lectured in timber technology at the School of Architecture for some 20 years. In his early working life, he headed overseas to build homes for the Sue Ryder Foundation in Africa and Poland.

In the mid-1990s, he continued his career in Australia, initially in Brisbane before moving to Sydney where he took up a post in the School of Architecture at the University of Technology.

Early on, a flamboyant streak lead him to decide Ron as a name was too pedestrian, reworking his middle name of Waldemar to a much preferred first name of Waldo.

Known for wearing a variety of hats, a keen sense of humour and love of practical jokes, he was often seen driving a large van (aka 'Big Blue') which became a regular repository for various construction materials he sourced.

Professor Donald (Don) Harris (1938-2020)

Don was a Fellow and Tutor in Jurisprudence at Balliol College 1956-1976, a Senior Research Fellow 1977–1993 and an Emeritus Fellow from 1993. Specialising in Contract and Tort, Don had a particular interest in remedies and the day-to-day reality of contractual relations. He had an impressive academic career as a Tutorial Fellow at Balliol and taught Contract and Tort on the BCL for many years.

Don played a central role in establishing the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies at Oxford in 1972 and was its Director for 21 years, placing him at the forefront of the move in legal scholarship from traditional blackletter approaches to one supplemented by a socio-legal perspective, making use of the insights of the social sciences in the study of law and legal phenomena. He had an enormous capacity for hard work, but it was through the force of his personality that Don created a strong sense of collective effort and community at the Centre.

Don's former colleagues remember him most for his personal qualities, his sheer humanity and decency, his modesty and willingness to forsake any kind of personal recognition, his optimism, sense of fun and, not least, his shining integrity. He was instrumental in appointing and mentoring at least two generations of socio-legal scholars, many of whom became leaders in the field in the UK and abroad.

Don worked behind the scenes in setting up and nurturing the Socio-Legal Studies Association. His legacy continues to be enjoyed by sociolegal scholars across the world.

Dr Stanley (Stan) Regnault Hunt '34 (1921-2021)

Stanley died on 8 August, on the eve of his 100th birthday. A top Scholar, he was one of only four in 1938. After completing a medical degree at the University of Otago, he became a skilled anaesthetist in Auckland, retiring at age 70.

A family with a long connection to Grammar, Stanley's aunt was an Old Girl, when the School initially had female students. A talented sportsman, he was a member of New Zealand's first ever national basketball team.

Stanley's four sons also became keen basketballers and with a fifth generation great grandson at the School, the Hunt lineage continues.

Sir Vaughan Jones '66 (1952-2020)

Vaughan passed away suddenly in 2020. Sir Vaughan, an eminent scholar joined Vanderbilt University in 2011 as a Distinguished Professor of Mathematics. He was also Professor Emeritus at University of California, Berkeley and Distinguished Alumni Professor at the University of Auckland.

Vaughan was a recipient of the Fields Medal, which is widely regarded as the "Nobel Prize of Mathematics" in 1990 and famously wore the New Zealand Rugby jersey when he gave his acceptance speech in Kyoto. The recognition was, in part, because of his discovery of a relationship between Von Neumann algebras and geometric topology. The discovery led to his finding a new polynomial invariant for knots and links in three-dimensional space - something that had been missed by topologists during the preceding 60 years.

Vaughan was also a member of the National Academy of Sciences and was awarded the Rutherford Medal by the Royal Society of New Zealand in 1991. He was named a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2002 for services to mathematics. In 2009 this was redesignated to a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit.

Vaughan was a proud New Zealander who attended Auckland Grammar School from 1966 to 1969 and was named Old Boy of the Year in 1990. He received his Bachelor and Master degrees (with First Class Honours) from the University of Auckland and earned his doctorate from the University of Geneva. He was an F.W.W Rhodes Memorial Scholar.

His appointments included: Honorary Vice President International Guild of Knot-tyers 1992, Fellow of the Royal Society in 1990, Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand and a fellow of the American Mathematics Society.

- Click here to watch the official opening of the Vaughan Jones Room in the School's Library
- Click here to watch an interview with Vaughan Jones in the Great Hall in 2000

Jack Leigh '45 (1932-2021)

Jack passed away on 22 March 2021, aged 89. A journalist with the Auckland Star, New Zealand Woman's Weekly and the New Zealand Herald, he was a renowned feature writer.

After studying journalism at the University of Auckland, Jack's career began as a copywriter at 1ZB. After 18 months at the Auckland Star, he moved to England, working for the Newcastle Journal, and the News Chronicle - a London daily newspaper that later merged with the Daily Mail. East Africa then beckoned for two periods in the 1950s and 60s, including the Zanzibar Revolution in 1964. Jack worked for the East African Standard, included time as chief sub, in Dar es Salaam.

He returned to New Zealand in 1964 and to the Auckland Star where he stayed for almost 20 years, 10 of them as feature writer. In his fifties, he moved to the NZ Woman's Weekly for five years. He was the only male feature writer, and travelled to a number of countries with the Weekly's chief photographer.

From 1987 to 1996, Jack wrote for the New Zealand Herald, taking the roles of feature writer, books editor and columnist. His personal column continued until 2000.

Jack was also a keen local historian. He wrote pieces for The Heritage Places Trust magazine, and historical articles for the NZ Herald from 1994 - 1999 called About Town. His 1977 book Strolling with Jack was a compilation of his Auckland Star articles about exploring Auckland by foot and he published a history of St Matthew-in-the-City in 2005. Jack was a talented writer with a long and varied career, successfully traversing a variety of genres.

Dr George Marshall '38 (1925-2018)

In 2018, Auckland Grammar School lost a great supporter when Dr George Marshall passed away at the age of 93. George was a past Grammar master and Augusta Fellow. Later in life, he gave generously of his time towards a number of significant projects, including manually updating the Auckland Grammar School Register of 1869-2002 through to 2014, helping John Scott '48 record books and writings of Old Boys from 1869-2018, updating the Register of Grammar Staff and proofreading the Ad Augusta magazine.

George was born in Auckland in 1925 and spent most of his first 20 years living above the family shop in the main street in Onehunga, where his father was a well-known baker and pastry cook. He attended Onehunga Primary School before coming to Auckland Grammar School in 1938, where he was appointed a Prefect in both 1941 and 1942. In his final year, George was awarded the Senior Prizes for both History and Reading.

In 1943, George enrolled at Auckland College of the University of New Zealand, as it was then known. However, with the war calling on increasing numbers of teachers to enlist, George was invited back to Grammar within a year to teach on a 'war appointment'. It is testament to the master that George was to become that he remained in contact with many of his Grammar students throughout his lifetime.

When the war ended, George's position was made permanent and he remained at Grammar for 12.5 years. Then followed seven and a half years at Avondale College, where he became Deputy Principal, nine years as Principal of Cambridge High School, five years as a Senior Lecturer in Educational Administration at Victoria University of Wellington, and seven years as Principal of Te Puke High School.

George retired in 1984, but spent the first 11 years of his retirement as an Honorary Lecturer in Education at Waikato University. During this time, he completed his Doctorate - 'The Development of Secondary Education in New Zealand from 1935 to 1970'. Earlier in his career, he had been awarded Masters Degrees in Arts, Letters, and Education at the Universities of Auckland, Paris, and Alberta respectively.

In his younger years, George was a keen tramper, spending many happy hours leading groups of pupils on excursions through the Waitakere Ranges and, throughout his life, he was involved in all aspects of church life, with playing the church organ a particular passion of his.

Education was in George's nature. His nieces and nephews would write to their uncle George and would receive their letters back, graciously edited in red pen. Indeed, George spent many hours thoroughly proofreading Ad Augusta magazine twice a year with his trusty red pen, offering the added advantage of his encyclopaedic knowledge of the School's history and that of many of its Old Boys.

George was very generous with his time and regularly volunteered at local schools to assist with various learning programmes. He supported those with a desire to learn and endeavoured to help them along the road to achieving their potential.

Ron Mayhill '37 DFC (1924-2020)

Ron passed away on Thursday 9 July 2020, aged 96. While some may remember him as a former pupil, others as Head of Geography and a long serving master at the School (1956 - 1983), his chances of becoming a teacher were slim given his posting to Bomber Command in World War II. Bomber Command lost 55,000 from 133,000 air crew. With the injured and POW count, the casualty rate was almost 50%, making it a dangerous posting. As he gratefully mused, "I was one of the lucky ones."

Today there are still some 20,000 men of RAF Bomber Command who remain untraced with no known grave, many lost on the way back to England having survived the perilous night bombing runs. Ron's crew of seven young men remained close for the rest of their lives, as did the families they later went on to have.

Ron attended Grammar from 1937 to 1941. With the outbreak of war, he immediately enlisted in the Royal New Zealand Air Force at the age of 18, and was posted to 75 (NZ) Squadron as a bomb aimer. It was known as a 'chop' squadron due to having the second highest losses in Bomber Command. His first active day of duty was on D-Day when the Allied forces invaded Nazi-occupied France by carrying out beach landings in Normandy.

On one daylight bombing raid in August 1944, anti-aircraft fire sent shrapnel through the nose cone of the Lancaster where he was lying prone, looking through the bombsight. Blinded with blood streaming down his face, he insisted the captain continue their mission and the crew went on to complete a successful bombing run. He was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his outstanding courage and devotion to duty. Ron's sight returned, but issues with his eye continued, caused by shards of perspex still remaining in his eyes some sixty years after the event.

He returned home at the end of the war in 1945 at the age of 21 and went on to graduate with a BA in 1952, and a MA (Hons) 1954, from the University of Auckland. Ron took up teaching and taught Geography at Grammar from 1956 to 1983, becoming Head of Geography. His love of the subject saw him become the Vice President of the Auckland Geography Society and a Chief Examiner for the Department of Education.

A Master in Charge of Hockey, he was an Auckland Hockey representative and Executive Member of the Auckland Hockey Association. His coaching career included Auckland Grammar School, the Auckland Colts and New Zealand Universities.

Ron was the author of four publications: Frontier Forsaken in 1947 (an outline history of the Cook Islands), New Zealand Geography in 1966, Atlas for New Zealand in 1970 and in 1991 Bombs on Target, recalling his war-time experiences. A former President of New Zealand Bomber Command, he travelled to London to see the Bomber Command Memorial unveiled in 2012.

Ron was appointed as Knight of the National Order of the Legion of Honour in 2015. This is France's highest award, and it recognises the efforts of veterans who fought in World War II and helped to facilitate the liberation of France.

The Right Honourable Sir Duncan McMullin '40 (1927-2017)

Duncan came to Grammar from Napier Boys' High School. He was an interested, engaged, kind and courteous student, who was described as "a young boy of good character with a considerable capacity for hard work".

After graduating from Auckland University College with an conjoint Bachelor of Law and Commerce in 1950, Duncan went on to have a distinguished legal career, initially specialising in personal injury claims and criminal law, before practicing as a barrister sole in commercial litigation. In 1970, he was appointed to the High Court Bench, and subsequently to the Court of Appeal in 1979. He was also a judge on the Court of Appeal of Fiji and the Cook Islands Court of Appeal. He became a Privy Counsellor in 1980 and was knighted in 1987 before retiring in 1989.

During his career, Duncan was appointed Chairman of the Royal Commission on Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion. Henry Cooper was the secretary and organiser of the Commission, which began in early 1975. While the Commission's report issued in April 1977 was considered controversial, McMullin and Cooper had played an important part in exposing three of New Zealand's most serious moral issues.

Duncan chaired the Policy Committee for the Wanganui Computer Centre in the days before the Privacy Act came into effect, and was chairman of the New Zealand Conservation Authority from 1996-2000, during which time Stewart Island became a national park. He also chaired the NZEM Market Surveillance Committee and the Judicial Commission of the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand, and served on the New Zealand Stock Exchange standing committee.

One of New Zealand's most respected legal figures and a distinguished Old Boy, Duncan received the Augusta Award in 2009 for his significant contributions to society.

Sir James McNeish '44 KNZM (1931-2016)

James had a varied career, from working on a Norwegian freighter in 1958 and recording folk music in 21 countries, to becoming a well known novelist and biographer.

James first worked in the Theatre Workshop in London before becoming a freelance programme and documentary maker for the BBC Radio programmes in the 1960s. He also wrote for The Guardian and The Observer and then spent three years living in Sicily writing Fire Under the Ashes: A Life of Danilo Dolci.

In 1973, James was the recipient of the Katherine Mansfield Menton Fellowship to France, before becoming the writer in Residence at the Berlin Kuenstler Programme in 1983. In 1986, his novel Lovelock was nominated for the Booker Prize.

In 1999, he was awarded the National Library of New Zealand Research Fellowship, which allowed him to research the lives of five prominent New Zealanders, including Old Boy Desmond Costello '23, who attended Oxford University in the 1930s. The outcome was his book Dance of the Peacocks: New Zealanders in Exile in the Time of Hitler and Mao Tse-tung (2003).

James was awarded numerous writing prizes and fellowships. In 2010, he was awarded the Prime Minister's Award for Literacy Achievement in non-fiction, and later that year he was made a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the New Year's Honours list.

In 2011, James became an Auckland Grammar School Augusta Awardee. At the time of his death, Sir James had just completed his latest book Breaking Ranks.

25-year master, Trevor Poultney

Auckland Grammar School acknowledges the passing of Mr Trevor Poultney, a 25-year master, who served the School from 1970 to 1999. Mr Poultney taught English and Social Sciences, and was appointed Head of Social Studies in 1974 and elected President of the National Social Studies Teachers' Association the same year.

After teaching in London for two years he returned to Auckland Grammar School and appointed Head of English in 1988, at a time the English block was officially opened and a new English curriculum was being introduced. As he concluded his tenure as Head of English he led a number of key initiatives as the Director of the Library.

Mr Poultney accepted governance responsibilities as the staff representative on the Board of Trustees from 1986 to 1994. His interactions and contributions were respected.

Outside of the classroom Mr Poultney furthered his interests in the humanities to co-edit The Chronicle from 1985 to 1998. This was a significant undertaking with Mr Kirby over an extended period, producing archival material for students, staff and old boys for over a decade.

In a sporting sense Mr Poultney coached cricket and rugby, the latter for two decades. He also helped with squash and led the photography club.

Mr Poultney contributed extensively to the life of Auckland Grammar School. As a master, his dedication to the School and its students were well-respected. As a colleague his work ethic was acknowledged alongside his expertise. His contributions and approach were recognized with a Woolf Fisher Fellowship in 1976 and the Headmaster's Council Staff Scholarship in 1994.

The Auckland Grammar School community extends its sympathies to Louise and their family.

Emeritus Professor Tom Prebble '59 MNZM (1945-2021)

Tom passed away on 17 January 2021, aged 75. With a PhD in education administration from the University of Alberta in 1975, Tom focussed on distance education. Appointed Director of Extramural Studies at Massey University in 1986, he was later given responsibility for the University's international student recruitment and services and delivery of overseas programmes.

Between 2008 and 2015, Tom was a board member developing Ako Aotearoa: National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence, a council member of both UCOL and Otago Polytechnic, Deputy Chair of the Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics Quality Board, and a member of the Teaching and Learning Research Initiative Advisory Board of the New Zealand Council for Education Research.

A past National President of the Flexible Learning Association of New Zealand, Tom was made a Fellow of the New Zealand Educational Administration Society in 1994 and in 2019 he was appointed a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to education.

Gerald (Gerry) Rea '47 QSM (1934-2018)

Gerry attended Grammar from 1947 to 1950 and qualified as an accountant in 1956. He was made a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of New Zealand in 1997.

Gerry is a life member of the Auckland Grammar School Old Boys' Association and was the honorary auditor of the Association for a number of years. He was also an Augusta Fellowship member. He was an enthusiastic participant in a number of sports, and played Football on Saturday mornings, Rugby in the afternoon and Rugby League on Sundays. He represented Auckland rugby at grade level.

Gerry founded an insolvency firm, Gerry Rea Partners, involved with insolvency and litigation support handling some of the major receiverships in New Zealand including appointment as statutory manager of Equiticorp in 1989.

Gerry made an outstanding contribution to sport and the community. He was a person of great energy and enthusiasm for assisting and helping with projects in the community. He was past president and a life member of the Grammar Carlton Rugby Football Club (now known as Grammar TEC). He was instrumental in developing the Shore Road reserve into a playing surface for junior rugby in the winter and cricket in the summer. He was a member of the Rotary Club of Auckland and was the initial CEO of the Ellerslie Flower Show and a recipient of a Paul Harris Fellowship.

Gerry was a past president and life member of the Carbine Club of New Zealand, a life member of the Northern Club, having been a past president and life member of the Auckland Club, a life member of Les Mills International, honorary auditor of the Auckland Cricket Society, deputy chairman and honorary treasurer of Friends of Eden Park, past president of the Lions Club of Glen Innes and honorary auditor of the Anglican Trust for Women and Children.

Gerry received the Queen's Service Medal for services to the community in the 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours. He was an honourable decent man of the highest integrity who was an asset to the community around him.

Doug Ross '34 MBE ED (1920-2020)

Doug passed away on 9 October 2020, aged 99, serving in the community and the armed services over many years.

Involved in the grocery trade, he once managed New Zealand's first large supermarket. When Foodtown Otahuhu opened in 1958, he recalled, "They had to close the road, it was so congested. Radio 1ZB had to appeal to the public to visit the next day, but that only made it worse."

Doug served for one term on the Auckland City Council and was Deputy Chair of the New Zealand Broadcasting Commission. A World War II veteran, serving in the Pacific and Italy, he later commanded 1st Battalion Auckland Regiment from 1957 to 1960.

Made a Member of the British Empire, Military Division in 1957, Doug later served as a lieutenant colonel in the Auckland regiment of the Territorials and was a life member of 3RNZIR Association.

A member of Grammar Rugby for 75 years, Doug's love of sport saw him representing the School at Athletics, Boxing, Cricket and Hockey in the 1930s.

Alan Sayers '29 MNZM (1915-2017)

The School's second oldest Old Boy and a lifelong advocate of Grammar, Alan passed away in 2017 at the age of 101.

Alan was Deputy Head Boy, the Senior Athletics Champion, a Prefect, a member of the 1st XV, a Grammar cadet battalion sergeant-major, and a member of the School's Colour Guard. He was an outstanding athlete, winning the School's Athletics cup twice and, in his final year, winning the 100, 220, and 440 yards at both Grammar and the inter-secondary school sports. He was also one of the legendary senior students who, many years ago, tackled a runaway prisoner trying to make an escape over the School's bottom field after jumping the prison fence.

Alan went on to win a bronze medal for New Zealand in the 4x400-yard relay at the 1938 British Empire Games, became a Lieutenant Commander in the Naval Intelligence Department in World War II, and was a leading New Zealand sports and general news journalist. He received the Insignia as a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to sport and journalism in the 2003 Queen's Birthday honours.

At the age of 96, he was entrusted by Sir Fred Allen (the only All Black coach with 37 games undefeated), to write his biography Fred the Needle, which became a New Zealand best seller in 2011. Aged 98, Alan published his second book Deadline: the Gripping Memoirs of a Pioneering Newsman, an autobiography which received wide publicity in the media.

Most importantly, Alan was a great family man and member of the community. He led his life focusing on discipline, integrity, love, fun, and encouraging his family and community to greater heights. Alan's son Greg '78 went to Grammar, and his grandson Reuben Wickstead was a Prefect in 2018. Reuben also proudly wore his grandfather's medals at the 2018 ANZAC Day service.

The School was very humbled when, on his passing, Alan's daughter Christina told us that he had said, right up to his final days, that one of the greatest things that set him up for life was his becoming a man at Grammar.

Professor Mark Warner '65 (1952-2022)

Mark passed away on Christmas Eve 2021 after a brave battle with cancer. He was Head Prefect in 1969, Captain of Swimming, the Auckland Secondary Schools 55 yards Freestyle champion, winner of the Hayes prize for Chemistry and Physics, the Martin Sullivan prize for Public Speaking, and was awarded the Fogerty Scholarship, University Entrance Scholarship, and the Rope Cup as best all-round boy in 1969.

He earned a PhD in Theoretical Physics from Imperial College, London, as well as a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Arts in Natural Sciences from Corpus Christi College at the University of Cambridge. He was a Professor of Theoretical Physics in the Theory of Condensed Matter at Cavendish Laboratory at the University of Cambridge.

Mark was one of the founders of the field of liquid crystalline solids. For this work, he received a Maxwell Medal and Prize and a von Humboldt Research Prize. In 2003, Professor Warner was awarded the Agilent Technology Europhysics Prize by the European Physical Society. He is an honorary fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand and a Fellow of the Royal Society, London.

Mark was a proud Old Boy, and a member of the UK Friends of Grammar Board of Trustees. We extended his support to students who were members of the biannual Western Heritage Tours, by leading tours of Corpus Christi College and the wider campus and providing access to the Parker Library, which housed rare manuscripts and codices collected by Archbishop Parker for Elisabeth I.

The School's sympathies have been extended to Mark's brother, retired 25 year master and Old Boy Mr John Warner '68 and other family members. The flag on top of the Main Block was at half-mast on Wednesday 26 January 2022 out of respect for Professor Warner.

David Watt '57 (1944-2020)

Born in Christchurch, David moved to Auckland in 1955 with his family, and he attended Grammar from 1957 to 1961. He was a capable scholar (C stream) and a talented sportsman, achieving prominence in hockey, cross country and athletics. As a middle distance runner, his success was notable in the school half-mile and mile events, and this included a second placing in the Auckland Secondary School Inter-secondary school mile in his final year.

David's involvement in sport continued after he left school as a member of the Olympic Harrier Club and as a long serving player and administrator of the Somerville Hockey Club, culminating in his election as a Life Member. David studied Commerce at the University of Auckland, qualifying as a Chartered Accountant, and being appointed to management positions with the Fletcher Challenge Group, predominantly in the Fisheries Division, both in New Zealand and Western Australia.

David spent 25 years working in the horticulture industry, including time with the Kiwifruit Marketing Board, ENZA International, Zespri International and Sinclair International.

David was deeply involved in his local community, taking a particular interest and leadership in the politics of Body Corporate Legislation development, and his practical and common sense approach resulted in him being highly respected by and a useful advisor for the politicians involved in developing this legislation.

James Whineray '74 (1960-2013)

James Whineray was President of the Auckland Grammar School Old Boys' Association from 2010-2012, as well as an active member of the Association's Executive Committee and the Headmaster's Council. A proud Tibbs House Old Boy, Jim also volunteered to join the 50th Anniversary Steering Committee.

As a student, Jim was a member of the Rowing 1st VIII and the 1st XV Rugby team and he also represented Grammar as a Prefect in 1978. He was a generous teammate, a staunch family man and a resourceful businessman. In all his endeavours, Jim was always a gentleman.

Sadly, Jim passed away in 2013 after a battle with cancer.

Sir Wilson Whineray '48 (1935-2012)

Wilson passed away in 2017, but his memory will always remain a source of inspiration. His contribution and interest across all facets of the School has been immense over many decades.

Sir Wilson attended Grammar from 1948 to 1951 and represented the School in Swimming, Athletics, 1st XI Cricket and 1st XV Rugby and was a School Prefect in 1951. He was described during his school years as being, among other things, "active, popular, blunt, sincere, strong and 'a bull-dog type'."

Sir Wilson's sustained contribution to the life of Auckland Grammar School cannot be underestimated. He was a leader with vision and passion who helped us transform the lives of our students and continue Grammar's traditions of excellence. He participated as a patron at the '1st 50 Grammar All Blacks' dinner, officially opened the Old Boys' Pavilion and regularly attended the Old Boys' Association annual dinners and other School events.

Sir Wilson served on the Headmaster's Council and was a member of the Foundation Trust. He joined the Augusta Fellowship in 2004, was awarded an honorary membership of the Old Boys' Association and was recognised as Old Boy of the Year in 1998.

In terms of his public life, Sir Wilson was probably best known for being one of the great All Black captains. A natural leader, he became captain at the age of 22 and has subsequently become an All Black legend. He was a successful businessman, being at various stages: Assistant General Manager of Dominion Breweries, Deputy Managing Director and Chairman of Carter Holt. He was awarded a Harkness Fellowship to study at Harvard. He was a long-serving member of the Hillary Commission and he made significant contributions to the community through his work with sports charities and through business.

In 1963 Sir Wilson was awarded an OBE and in 1998 he received a knighthood for his services to sport and business management.

John Wigglesworth '42 ONZM (1928-2019)

John had a life-long involvement in water skiing, the accounting profession, the arts, education and the community. Born in 1928, John' family shifted from Christchurch to Auckland in 1935 and he started at Grammar in 1942, taking first place in 3A General, 4A General and tenth in 5A before finishing second in 6 Commercial in 1945. He was a member of the 1st XI Hockey team in 1944 and 1945 and was a Prefect in 1945.

Mathematics and English were John's strongest subjects and he also enjoyed Science. He left Grammar with four subjects towards his Accounting degree. John later said that 6 Commercial was a great asset to people going on to business and getting on with their life.

John studied part time in the evenings at the University of Auckland, graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce and an Accounting qualification, at the age of 21. He was a foundation member of the Headmaster's Council in 1970 and was named the Old Boy of the Year in 1989.

John was a past president and an Honorary Life Member of the Old Boys' Association, saying, "Attending Grammar was a memorable time in my life and I have been a passionate Grammar man ever since. It was a great asset as far as I was concerned and I have tried to give a little bit of it back by serving on the Grammar Board for 22 years." He also spent 17 years on the St Cuthbert's College Board, and the John Wigglesworth Sports Centre is among the sports facilities at the College named in his honour.

John had been a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators since 1978 and was the youngest to be made a Fellow Chartered Accountant having been a partner of the Chartered Accounting firm Porter, Wigglesworth and Grayburn. He was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours List for services to art, water skiing and the community.

Howie Keith Forbes Wilson '44 (1930-2021)

Keith grew up in Herne Bay, Auckland and attended the local primary school in Curran Street, then King's Preparatory School in Remuera. He had an early introduction to sailing which became a lasting passion. Starting at Auckland Grammar in 1944, he showed his promise as a scholar in the A forms and 6 Science. In his final year (1948), he played in the 1st XV, and was appointed a School Prefect. Keith was thrilled when his son Jonathon was enrolled at Auckland Grammar from Hamilton and boarded at Tibbs House for five years.

In 1949, Keith was accepted into Otago University Medical School and began his studies in Dunedin, living in Knox College throughout his student years. On 9 December 1954, he was capped MB ChB and commenced work as a House Surgeon in Auckland in the New Year. His first 3 months were at the Thames Hospital working for Mr K. Archer in General Surgery, followed by General Surgery at Middlemore with Mr J. M. Clarke, then Eyes, and ENT at Auckland Hospital. In 1956 he completed a further General Surgery run with Mr F. P. Furkert, and Orthopaedic Surgery at Middlemore with Mr W. J. B. McFarland. He gained full registration on the Commonwealth list on 20 June 1957 with a clear indication that the path ahead led to specialising in surgery.

It was while working in Auckland that he met and fell in love with Barbara, who was nursing, and they married. Barbara was a huge support to Keith as his very busy life developed, with three children, much travel, a frantic surgical practice, college of Surgeons commitments, sailing and collecting antique furniture.

For 5 years, in the 1950s, Keith studied in London and Edinburgh obtaining his FRCS and FRCSE and returned to New Zealand to take up the position of Surgical Registrar at Waikato Hospital on 16 November 1961. He was admitted to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons on 21 June 1962. Keith took over Mr Allan Lomas's hospital and private practice when Allan left to train in Radiotherapy in London. In the late 1960s Keith became interested in the new discipline of Plastic Surgery, and he was able to spend 9 months visiting plastic surgery units in USA, Canada, UK and Thailand. To complete his training Keith spent 1973 at the Middlemore Hospital Plastic Surgery unit under William Manchester.

With the Waikato Hospital Plastic Surgery Unit established and with the appointment of Mr Patrick Beehan the specialty of Plastic Surgery took off. They shared responsibilities for both elective and acute cases until the mid 1980s. A one in two roster was not uncommon at Waikato Hospital at that time as the various specialty units were being established. However, with the appointment of further surgeons the unit was then recognised as a College training post for Plastic Surgery.

In his public hospital practice, Keith was a General Plastic Surgeon. Keith had a very successful private practice in both Plastic and General Surgery, and he never really gave up his General Surgery until the advent of minimally invasive surgery. A cholecystectomy or open prostatectomy would be on his lists much to the chagrin of his General Surgical colleagues. He was one of the last truly General Surgeons.

Keith had a significant role in the development of Braemar Hospital in Hamilton where he worked as a busy surgeon on a regular basis and was involved in the Hospital Management and also the Braemar Charitable Trust on which he served as chairman for many years. During the period of fundamental reforms in medical practice in New Zealand with vocational registration, loss of medical leadership in the public hospitals, and formation of the Senior Hospital Doctors Union (ASMS), Keith became involved in medical politics. He was elected to the New Zealand Committee of the RACS and was elected chairman 1986-1988.

Following this he became a member, then chairman, of the Hospital Officers Medical Advisory Committee (HOMAC) of the New Zealand Medical Association. HOMAC was responsible for the negotiation of the terms of employment and salaries of senior hospital doctors with the Higher Salaries Commission until government implemented the change to negotiation through the adversarial union system. A busy time for Keith which he handled with great aplomb, and with the assistance of his wife Barbara.

Yachting remained an important part of Keith's and his family's life. Armed with his Yacht Master's certificate he confidently sailed the Hauraki Gulf and to the Bay of Islands where he had an interest in Moturoa Island. His wooden Davidson 1975 ketch RIADA was frequently seen in the Christmas Tall Ships Race in the Bay of Islands receiving line honours on several occasions.

With his retirement he shifted to Devonport and assisted at the Naval Base with minor surgery. Unfortunately, his last years were blighted by Parkinson's Disease which he bore with great courage and equanimity. His mentorship of junior colleagues, and his jovial disposition and chuckle, which remained with him to the end, will be fondly remembered by many.

Keith is survived by wife Barbara and three children, Caroline, Nicola and Jonathon, along with seven grandchildren. This obituary was kindly provided by Ross Blair FRACS.

Dr Ian Wilson '57 (1943-2020)

Ian was born in Edinburgh in 1943. His family emigrated to New Zealand in 1952 and he started at Auckland Grammar School in 1957 as an out-of-zone student living in Takapuna. He was strong in all subjects, but notably in French, perhaps by virtue of relentlessly learning vocabulary as his ferry crossed the harbour. He claimed never to do any homework at home, finishing it off at school in breaks or while commuting. He was joint dux, an unusual achievement at the time for a specialist in languages. He was not keen on team sports, but an excellent athlete, representing Grammar in throwing the discus.

Ian graduated with a Master of Arts (with First Class Honours) in French from the University of Auckland. He won a New Zealand Government Postgraduate Scholarship, with travelling emoluments, which was rare and highly coveted. The scholarship enabled him to enrol in the PhD programme at Oxford University. The Voltaire Foundation published his thesis, The Influence of Hobbes and Locke in Shaping the Concept of Sovereignty in Eighteenth Century France (Banbury, 1973), as Volume 101 of its scholarly series, Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century. He earned a Diploma in Social and Physical Anthropology from the University of Auckland in 1975.

Ian was the executive chairman of WEXAS, the World Expeditionary Association, an innovative and very successful travel company, which is now battling the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the travel industry. Ian founded WEXAS in 1970, with his then girlfriend, later his first wife, Alexandra Leal, working together on their kitchen table in London and then in a rented basement. His day job was at J. Walter Thompson, then the world's leading advertising agency, where he specialised in product marketing for such leading companies as Unilever.

Ian's point of difference was to present WEXAS as an association that one joined rather than as a commercial concern seeking customers. Annual membership fees paid by automatically renewing direct credits supported the otherwise increasingly narrow margins in the industry. In return, customers received exclusive fares, negotiated directly with wholesalers, expert advice, and Traveller, WEXAS's high quality magazine. Still published today, the Traveller magazine is now in its 51st year. Ian established it as Expedition News in 1970. It was called Expedition Magazine from 1973 to 1984. Through WEXAS, he published a number of travellers' handbooks, and wrote six books as author - The Influence of Hobbes and Locke in the Shaping of the Concept of Sovereignty in Eighteenth Century France, 500 Tips and Traps for the long-haul Traveller (later renamed Trouble-Free Travel: An Insider's Guide), Black Jenny, 500 Destinations to avoid and 500 to visit, 1000 Tips and Traps for the Worried Well and The Little Dictionary of Big Words you should know.

Ian is survived by former wives, Alexandra Leal and Sarah Marsh, his children Mark, Jackie and Thomas and three grandchildren Otto, Elska, and Rainer.