Creating bonds that last a lifetime - Angus Johnstone '12
Tuesday, 11 July 2023
Along with academia, the arts and extracurricular activities, sport is a key part of a student's education at Auckland Grammar School. The shared experience of participating in sport can create bonds that last a lifetime. But the real value of sport extends beyond just building relationships and having fun, something that Angus Johnstone '12 can relate to.

"Whether it was on or off the field, sport played a huge part in my life and my upbringing. I have always had a strong interest in the business side of sport, not only within New Zealand but on a global scale. Being able to attend world class events such as the Rugby World Cup, the Australian Open and the Ashes series made me eager to learn how these events can be marketed and delivered.""

This mentality - along with the rigorous examination schedule at Grammar - helped Angus forge a career within the sporting industry. "Studying at Auckland Grammar was an integral part of my career path. At the time, exams three times a year seemed full-on, though in hindsight, this was the exact preparation I needed heading to university and then into full-time work."

In his own words, after five "very fun, social and eventful years at Grammar, where I learned valuable life lessons which had me in good stead as I headed into the real world," Angus moved to Dunedin and began a double degree - a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Management and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology - at the University of Otago.

Adding Sports Science as a minor to his Bachelor of Science degree in his third year is a decision that helped cement Angus his ideal role in the sporting industry. After completing the four-year degree, Angus began a summer internship with Power Marketing, selling memberships for two Super Rugby teams, the Chiefs and the Hurricanes.

This internship ultimately led to a full-time role with the Hurricanes, based in Wellington, and Angus is now the Membership and Ticketing Manager for the team, a role he has grown to love. "I have had a number of opportunities to grow in this role, which has been fantastic, especially as I definitely see my future within the sport marketing field."

With their home base at Sky Stadium on Wellington's waterfront with capacity for 34,500 people, the Hurricanes have a very loyal fanbase which stretches from Wellington all the way up to the East Coast, something that Angus took full advantage of at the start of this year. With Orientation (or 'O-Week' as it is colloquially known) taking place in late February, Angus wanted to increase the involvement the Hurricanes had with university students.

Through the organisation and delivery of 800 two-game passes in the O-Week gift bags, Angus was able to secure an additional 1,000 memberships this year alone, elevating membership numbers into the early 4,000s for the 2023 season. "Being a student from Dunedin, it wasn't hard to notice how effective the 'Zoo' is to the overall experience as a student. It was fantastic to be able to contribute to the start of a strong relationship between university students and the Hurricanes."

Despite being based in Wellington, Angus holds the School in very high regard, and enjoys attending regular sporting fixtures when he returns to Auckland to be able to support his alma mater. "The way Old Boys get around each other and unconditionally support the School's sports teams illustrates a unique culture and one I thoroughly enjoyed being a part of."

With sport being such a big part of his life both personally and professionally, Angus is quick to give the same piece of advice to current students that he was given: follow your passion. "If sport is your passion, don't hesitate to reach out to a sporting organisation. Whether it be at club, provincial or international level, take an internship if you have to but get your foot in the door early and who knows what may happen. Don't just sit back and wait for the jobs to become available. Instead, be proactive and approach sporting organisations for experience."